healthy lifestyle. positive mindset. all the good & beautiful things in the world.
(Make sure you stretch both sides! I like to do this routine twice on each side as I find myself a little looser after the first run through. Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds. )
Stretching for the Splits: Quick Guide
I get a lot of asks about how to achieve a split, so I took a couple quick videos today to help out anyone who is working toward this goal! These are my favorite side splits stretches. Here are a few things to keep in mind when stretching for the splits:
- Warm up fully before beginning to stretch! This is important. Warm muscles are much looser and more pliable than cold ones, and much less prone to injury. It’s best to save the stretching for after your workout, or if you aren’t planning on working out, do 5-10 minutes of a full body cardio session that gets your heart rate up. Jumping jacks, kicks, jogging around, running up and down the stairs, dancing to a fast song or two… whatever gets your blood flowing. I find it helpful to do some squats, lunges, and high-knees before stretching my legs as well.
- Try to keep the hips squared when you stretch.This means that both your hips will be facing forward, your legs should be nearly in line with each other, the knee and foot of the back leg will be facing the floor, and your torso should not twist out to the side. Think of pulling the back leg forward and the front leg back. Whether you perform your split squared or turned out/open will depend on your sport/dance style and aesthetic preference, but when stretching always aim for squared hips as it allows a deeper stretch.
- Stretch to the point of discomfort, NOT PAIN. Don’t hurt yourself! A pulled muscle can set back all of your progress for weeks or months, so listen to your body!
- Don’t stretch every day. My general rule is that if my muscles feel fine, I will stretch 2 days in a row, but try to give yourself a break at least every few days and especially if your muscles are very sore. Just like strength training, your body needs time to repair any muscles damage. Stretching too much can actually inhibit your progress. Light stretching however is ok every day.
- Be patient! Splits don’t happen overnight. It may take some 4 weeks and others 4 months and others 4 years, but keep at it and you will see results :)
Of course there are many many more stretches that you can do to help achieve your splits, but these are the basics that will target the hamstrings and hip flexors for your split. Make sure to vary your routine and add new stretches every so often!
Whoop whoop, our second challenge is here! For those that enjoyed #teamnocheats, here is #happyhealthyholidays! A challenge that takes place November First through January First of 2015 - this is your way to stay on track with your healthy lifestyle through one of the most difficult times of the year. The holiday months are known to take a toll on people, both mentally and physically. The average person gains between 8 and 15 pounds during this time! This is your way to combat that!
The hashtag challenge and the yoga challenge are optional! They are both a way to keep you on track with the challenge but are not necessary. You can participate on both tumblr and instagram! Pictures, word posts, videos, whatever you want! Just hashtag it as #happyhealthyholidays :)
The creators and hosts of this challenge are myself, fitchris25 and fitandfruity. You can also find us on Instagram under natashaxjade, fitchris25, and fitandfruityy. Be sure to tag us in your posts on both tumblr and instagram so we can see your stuff! :)
There will also be mini-challenges (once a week) for you guys to participate in! Winners of the mini-challenges will be feature on our blogs and Instagrams :)
Remember that this is not a strict challenge, if you miss a day or fall of the wagon, it’s no problem! We want you to be happy and healthy during these holiday months (and for life), so do what works for you. Make this your challenge. There is no one right way to do this challenge. Everyone’s will be different and that is 100% ok :)
Just reblog this post, and feel free to repost it on Instagram/Facebook/etc and spread the word!
this is going to be amazinggggggggg
I’m a dumbass and somehow managed to skip day 37 xD so let’s just make that a free day! 37. #freeday whoop whoop